Saturday, February 14

Height

Since i am 5'11'' at 17 (have been since i was 14 years), and i dont always think its easy to be tall, it really moved me when i read this not so long ago. I mean, its kind of hard, for an example if you want to walk in high-heeled shoes (at least while youre still in school), you have to find shoes that are 3'' or less, or else you'll just be taller than everyone else. So when i read this article, i became happy.

Height
By Patricia Marx
Call me five foot three. But also call me a liar. I am five foot one and a half on a good posture day. Well, five foot one. I started life as a runty baby, grew ever so slightly to become a short child, and eventually became a not terribly grown-up grown-up. I am not complaining, at least not for a few sentences. Plenty of people are shorter than I am, and not all of them are still in school. Moreover, I am not permanently short, since I can put on very high heels – and do. Sometimes I even put on Rollerblades, and let me tell you, if you don’t already know, looking down on the world from the lofty stature of five foot five is almost like being Zeus. At the end of the day, however, if you happen to be in the company of polite society or in bed, which I occasionally am, you must take off the Rollerblades. But I am still not complaining, at least for a few more sentences. Being an undersize comes with advantages. As a kindergartner, you tend to look like a toddler, which means that all you must do to be considered highly intelligent is not drool. Utter a simple sentence and you rate as a genius. In your teenage years, you can be anything you want to be as long as what you want to be is the cheerleader on the tippy top of the human pyramid. Later, you will make a fine chimney sweep. And that, I am sorry to say, is about it as far as benefits go. Tall people, some studies have shown, tend to be more successful, more admired, smarter, and something makes me think they have better cell-phone connections, too. Height it has been determined by the people who look into this sort of thing, is more important than gender in determining income – an extra inch corresponds to an additional 789 dollars a year in pay. A recent study in England found that for every inch taller a man is than his romantic rival (in speed-dating sessions, at least), the number of women who want to meet him increases about 5 percent. Don’t be so surprised. You’ve never heard the phrase diminutive, dark and handsome, have you? Nor, by the way, have you ever heard a parent say to a child, ‘’eat this spinach so you will grow up to be little and strong.’’ Short people, it is true, do live longer, but with all those, ahem, shortcomings, what, really, is the point? Now comes the complaining. It is not fair that I cannot, without putting on pounds, consume as many calories as do the more altitudinous. It is not fair that pint-size people are ever said to have Osama bin Ladin complexes. It is not fair that we wee individuals are evidently considered too lightweight to be president. The last shorter-than-average American president, in fact, was five-foot-seven William McKinley, elected in 1896. But I am not complaining. I don’t want to be president. What I do want is to be five foot ten and a half.
- (Taken from Vogue, April ’07)

Love, Rosa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment